Many times disasters occur without warning. It could be anything from hurricanes, to extended power outages, to violent crime, to societal breakdown, etc. It is always best to prepare in advance for potential situations which could occur, rather than be caught unprepared if and when they do occur.
Here are some things I consider important enough to prepare right now.
- Stock up on non perishable food and water now. At least 3 months worth per person. This also includes a 3 months supply of food and water for each of your pets. A cool, dry basement is a great place to set up shelving units to hold these supplies.
- Batteries; yes you will absolutely need them for everything from flashlights to radios. Stock up on as many as you can. I keep mine in ziploc bags which are then placed in lots of empty coffee cans by battery size. Keep your rechargeable and disposable batteries in seperate areas.
- Maintain your perimeter security by keeping doors, windows and garages locked, walk your property daily to make sure it is secure and use wireless motion detector alert systems. Big dogs work well also. Mine is an Alaskan Malamute.
- Keep your communications gear fully charged including cell phones and 2 way radios.
- Obtain proper training and get your pistol permit. Also obtain proper training in the use of shotguns and rifles as well. Have your firearms and sufficient ammunition and related gear available; and train on a regular basis at the range with each of your firearms.
- Have a sharp knife, as well as reliable hand tools available. Also have a sufficient quantity of spare plywood and nails and screws.
- An 8,000 to 10,000 watt generator is a must, along with a power cord to attach it to your previously installed whole house power outlet and a sufficient supply of safely stored, stabilized gasoline to run the generator. About 20, red 5 gallon each gasoline cans should do it. 20×5 = 100 gallons.
- Keep well supplied first aid kits available and know how to use them.
- Have a written survival plan and familiarize your family with it.
The following is a list of books I have written. You can get a free preview of my first zombie fiction book or my first five post apocalyptic fiction survival books by clicking on the book cover images to the left of this blog post, on my blog page, which will take you to the Amazon.com website. Then you can click on the look inside option which will give you a free preview. If my zombie or survival fiction books interest you; then go ahead and make a purchase. Book titles include Biohazard Redacted Book 1 of the Zombie Apocalypse, American Rebellion Book 1 of the Revolution, American Rebellion Book 2 of the Revolution, American Rebellion Book 3 of the Revolution, American Rebellion Book 4 of the Revolution and American Rebellion Book 5 of the Revolution. If you enjoy the books feel free to leave a comment over at Amazon.