Whether it’s zombies, societal unrest, war, famine, or natural disasters; you need to anticipate and be prepared for the unexpected. Making the right choices in what items to prep, what skills to acquire and what defensive capabilities to have can make all the difference in the world. Having a workable survival plan and the will and the skill to follow through with your plan are of paramount importance. Let’s look at a few other considerations.
- Weapons – When it comes to handguns, shotguns and rifles look to what the pro’s use. Law enforcement and the military tend to carry weapons that have stood the test of time; so these are good starting points.
- Ammunition – Common calibers are usually best. Try to avoid calibers that are hard to locate. Again look to what cops and the military tend to use.
- Knives – Robust, durable and strong are the features you must have in a knife. If it can’t hold together when put to heavy duty use then it’s not the right knife to own. When you absolutely, positively need a knife; no other tool will do.
- Personal Protection – Your life is always more important than some scumbag thug or criminal.
- First Aid – Have a well stocked kit and know how to use every item in that kit.
- Route Planning – Know which routes are safe to travel and which are not. Learn how to stay off of main roads and get to safe destinations using backroads which will tend to be less crowded.
- Fuel – Know how to stabilize it and store it properly.
- Bug Out Bag – Pack it with essentials for a minimum of 72 hours and have it ready at all times. Make sure you can carry it for a significant distance as it does you little good if you can’t carry the weight past the end of your driveway.
- Communications – Reliable information is crucial to survival so have good communications protocols in place.
- Mindset – Be alert, confident, a positive thinker and maintain situational awareness and control.
You can see 5 of my post apocalyptic fiction books, 2 of my zombie fiction books and 1 of my horror fiction books on the left side of my blog page. Go ahead; take a chance and purchase one or more over at Amazon.com. They are really quite interesting if I do say so myself 🙂