The art and science of prepping basically comes down to having the right gear, the right skills and the right mindset to survive when disaster strikes. There are literally hundreds of items that are essential and worthwhile to stock up on; but to get you started, here is my list of essential items to have on hand if disaster strikes.
- Drinking water – at least a 3 months supply per person.
- Food – at least a three months supply per person. Don’t forget to have food and water for your pets as well.
- Firearms for self defense – shotguns, rifles, and handguns along with proper training are essential.
- Ammo and Mags – As much as possible in the proper calibers with mags as needed; to handle any self defense situation.
- First Aid Kit – With enough vital medical supplies to handle most medical emergencies.
- Generator with proper wiring – to run your entire house should the power fail.
- Gasoline – Minimum of 100 gallons safely stored.
- Firewood – For cold weather use to stay warm and for emergency cooking.
- Communications gear – including cell phones, CB’s, 2 way radios, shortwave and backup computers with alternative recharging methods.
- Bright Flashlights – As many as possible along with plenty of replacement batteries.
- Fire starting capabilities – such as matches, lighters, strikers, etc.
- Assorted variety of proper clothing – to handle all types of good as well as bad weather. Clothing items should be seasonally specific.
You can see all 5 of my post apocalyptic fiction books, 2 of my zombie fiction books and 1 of my horror fiction books on the left side of my blog page. Go ahead; take a chance and purchase one or more over at Amazon.com. They are really quite interesting to read if I do say so myself and they also make excellent gifts 🙂