Let’s face it; the average American home, condo, or apartment is not constructed with defensive capabilities in mind. If there is a societal collapse or a complete disregard for law and order; home defense will become a primary concern for most people who choose to stay in their homes and ride out this disaster situation. The following are some survival oriented home improvements to consider.
- Replace all outside door locks with heavy duty deadbolts.
- Have blackout materials ready to block light from coming through all windows to observe light discipline when needed.
- Consider security bars and hurricane screens although they must be able to be opened by the homeowner for emergency escape.
- Construct creative hiding places for food, spare cash, and people.
- Create passageways and escape hatches.
- Keep your yard equipment such as shovels, axes, ladders, etc., locked away to prevent thugs and looters from using this equipment to break into your home.
- Install automatic or remote controlled battery powered floodlights.
- Fence in your property. Have trip wire and or razor wire available for deployment when needed.
- Plant sharp, thorny bushes near and under windows.
- Keep your vehicles with full gas tanks locked inside securely locked garages.
- Reinforce your windows with see through security film.
- Install a CCTV monitoring system.
- Add noisemakers to boundary positions.
- Implement visitor control procedures.
- A well cared for dog makes an awesome early warning system.
You can see all 5 of my post apocalyptic fiction books, 2 of my zombie fiction books and 1 of my horror fiction books on the left side of my blog page. Go ahead; take a chance and purchase one or more over at Amazon.com. They are really quite interesting to read if I do say so myself and they also make excellent gifts 🙂