In retrospect; Hurricane Katrina can be used as a good example for learning many realities which will occur during a large scale disaster. Here are some worthwhile ones to take note of.
- Criminals and entitlement minded individuals will think nothing of looting or committing violent crimes during a disaster event.
- Avoid shelters, stadiums, etc., because any survival items you bring with you will be confiscated and sickness will run rampant because of the close proximity of people forced to stay together.
- Local, state, and federal officials can and will try and forcibly disarm; and forcibly remove law abiding citizen’s from their homes whether they want to leave or not.
- Don’t believe everything reported on the radio and TV as ratings and the rush to get stories out will result in lots of misinformation.
- Keep your food and water close by, hidden, and use it discreetly.
- If communications are down help will not immediately be coming.
- Property crimes and violent crimes will escalate.
- However many survival supplies you think you need; you will end up needing a lot more.
- Expect those in power, including those who believe they are trying to help you, to try and suspend your constitutional rights.
- Keep your vehicles gas tank full. Fuel will not be available in the disaster affected area.
- Have spare cash available as credit card readers may be offline, personal checks won’t be accepted, and ATM’s will likely not be functioning.
- Have self defense weapons, spare ammo, and the will and the skill to defend yourself and your family with them ready at a moment’s notice.
- Your personal survival supplies may be commandeered and redistributed without your permission or any compensation.
- Martial law can be declared and otherwise law abiding citizen’s can be arrested on the whims of petty officials.
- Never assume any disaster will be a short term one.
- Your bug out bag should be ready to go and its contents should be up to date.
- Have essential security protocols ready to protect against thugs, looters, opportunists and the desperate.
You can see all 5 of my post apocalyptic fiction books, 2 of my zombie fiction books and 1 of my horror fiction books on the left side of my blog page. Go ahead and purchase one or more over at Amazon.com. They are really quite interesting and entertaining to read if I do say so myself.