I haven’t met a prepper yet who doesn’t really enjoy beef jerky. Here’s a good method for making this delicious and nutritious treat.
- Trim excess fat from the meat.
- Place the meat in a freezer bag and put it in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
- Mix up your marinade in a bowl while the meat is in the freezer.
- Remove the meat from the freezer. It should be firm but not frozen solid.
- Cut the meat into thin strips.
- Place the meat strips in a clean, 1 gallon zip-lock freezer bag.
- Pour your marinade into the bag with the meat, covering the meat entirely.
- Squeeze as much air as you can out of the bag and then seal the bag.
- Place the freezer bag in the refrigerator overnight and let the meat soak in the marinade.
- Knead the bag occasionally to make sure the coating is reasonably even.
- Remove the marinated bag from the refrigerator, the next day, and dump the contents into a colander to drain.
- Choose your drying method such as using the oven or a dehydrator.
- If using the oven place your meat in the pre-heated oven for 4 to 5 hours leaving the oven door slightly ajar. 200 degrees is a good temperature to use.
- Let it cool down once the drying is complete. Enjoy your beef jerky.