If you survive a disaster such as a nuclear detonation, radiation then becomes the silent killer which you need to avoid. Radiation is measured in (mSv) millisieverts and a persons normal exposure to radiation in any given year under normal conditions is about 2.4 mSv. The following is an indicator of what various radiation readings are in millisieverts and what can constitute exposure.
- 0.01 mSv = A dental x-ray.
- 0.1 mSv = Dose of radiation from a chest x – ray
- 0.4 mSv = Mammogram breast x-ray exposure.
- 2.4 mSv = Natural radiation most people are normally exposed to each year.
- 10 mSv = Radiation dose in full body CT scan.
- 15 mSv = CT scan abdomen and pelvis.
- 100 mSv = Lowest annual dose at which any increase in cancer is clearly evident.
- 700 mSv = Vomiting within hours of exposure.
- 750 mSv = Hair loss two weeks after exposure.
- 1,000 mSv = radiation sickness and nausea but may not cause death.
- 5,000 mSv = Single dose would kill half of those exposed within a month.
- 10,000 mSv= Destruction of intestinal lining, internal bleeding and death within two weeks of exposure.
- 20,000 mSv = Cognitive impairment, convulsions and death within hours of receiving dose of radiation.
You can get a free preview of my first five post apocalyptic fiction survival books, my first two zombie fiction books, and my first horror fiction book by clicking on the book cover images to the left of this blog post, on my blog page, which will take you to the Amazon.com website. Then you can click on the look inside option which will give you a free preview. If my books interest you; then consider purchasing them. Book titles include American Rebellion Book 1 of the Revolution, American Rebellion Book 2 of the Revolution, American Rebellion Book 3 of the Revolution, American Rebellion Book 4 of the Revolution, American Rebellion Book 5 of the Revolution, Biohazard Redacted Book 1 of the Zombie Apocalypse, Biohazard Redacted Book 2 of the Zombie Apocalypse, and Anthology of Horror.