One of my readers, kindly asked me if I could write a specific article on how women can be prepared for disaster scenarios. After giving the matter much thought, the following would be some recommendations that I can suggest.
- Make sure you have the proper mindset which means whatever happens you must firmly believe that you will survive no matter what disaster confronts you.
- Control your fears. This is essential.
- Practice regularly with whatever weapons you plan on using for self defensive. Be thoroughly familiar with how your weapons function and practice frequently. Firearms drills to practice should include safely loading, unloading, clearing malfunctions, acquiring your target and basic weapons maintenance.
- Rape will be an ever present threat when the SHTF so make sure you know some basic fighting techniques and know which specific strike points on the human body will instantly incapacitate an attacker. There are many strike points on an attackers body which can accomplish this.
- Be selective and careful whom you trust. If you get a feeling that a person is untrustworthy or a danger to you, do not dismiss that feeling but instead pay attention to it and distance yourself accordingly.
- Stock up on survival basics which means have at least a 3 month supply of food, water, medicine and make sure you have sufficient guns, ammo and gun related gear as well as shelter options available to you. Don’t forget feminine products including menstrual pads and birth control.
- Have an attitude of confidence and project it openly. Make yourself a hard target so anyone considering doing you harm will think twice about doing so. Most criminals would rather try and take $20.00 from someone who won’t resist then take a $100.00 from someone who will offer strong resistance.
- Be mentally and physically fit to as much a degree as possible.
- Have a prepacked bug out bag available with your survival essentials and make sure you can carry it for a considerable distance. The bag will be useless if you can only carry it to the end of the driveway and then need to stop.
- Have some reference manuals which contain quick access to short and long term survival methods available to you.
- Know the difference between cover and concealment. Cover allows you to hide and will stop a bullet where as concealment will allow you to hide but will not stop a bullet.
- Know when to attack and when not to.
- If you have to leave the area stay off the main roads. You may travel parellel to them from areas which are away from prying eyes but stay off of the main roads.
- Whenever possible it is better to stay put in a fortifed location such as a properly hardened home then to leave and set out on foot.
You can take a look at some of my apocalyptic, zombie, or horror fiction books on the left side of my blog page by clicking on the book cover images. If they interest you then I hope you will consider purchasing a copy.